Okay, so it’s not quite summer yet, but close enough. I was thinking about the fact that, besides a few weekend events and of course, the biggest holiday of all, July 4th (and my birthday) I don’t have a lot to plan for until November. November! Whereas the first half of the year was crammed full of things I had to plan and orchestrate and devote mind space too, the upcoming months are inviting me to sit back and relax.
So of course, I want to cram it full of things, because that’s who I am. And I also don’t want see myself at the end of August looking back at the last three months thinking, what did I even do during this summer? Nothing? Lame.
Last night I randomly put together 10 goals for the summer, which means from now until mid-August, or whenever I arbitrarily decide to stop. And also starting next week, since it’s already Friday and I’ve already failed on a lot of these for this week.
ASHLEY’S 10 SUMMER GOALS
- Dance at least once a week.
- Take a hip hop or jazz class at least once a month. I realize this only means three times this summer, but I so easily default to ballet class that three times is enough times to push me out of my comfort zone.
- Run at least 5 miles a week. Okay, this one probably has to be upped as the summer goes on in preparation of the half marathon in November…
- Eat dinner at home at least once a week. Notice this says “eat dinner at home” not “cook at home”.
- Cook for Jeremiah at least once a month. Again – only three times! I can do this, right? Right. Although Lean In taught me that I don’t have to try to be the domestic girlfriend that can cook and clean and do everything and have a career in order to be seen as a successful woman so maybe I don’t have to cook. Just kidding. Half kidding.
- Drink less coffee… she says as she drinks her Philz coffee.
- No laptop or extended phone time 30 minutes before bed time. I’ve read this tip thousands of times in “How to get better sleep” or “how to wake up refreshed” articles and I have to say, the times when I don’t look at a screen right before I sleep I actually do feel like I get better sleep and wake up more refreshed.
- Create something. (This is where I started to run out of goals.) Anything. Maybe a side coding project? I was dreaming up ideas last night and we’ll see what happens.
- Blog twice a week. Okay, this one might be tricky. At least I’ve blogged once a week since January, already a big win for me!
- Read 3 books a month. I’m ahead of schedule for my 24 books a month goal for the year, but since I’ve started reading again with some regularity this year, I’ve been reminded of how much I love reading! And I’m glad that people recommended books to me that I wouldn’t have normally read – it’s expanded my horizons (cliché but so true) and now I just want to read more. I also like that this goal ties in with #7 and maybe #9 (book reviews…? I feel like I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things.)
Summer is great.